All week I've not been able to stop thinking about MJ and her family. Like many of you, I have had thoughts run through my mind of 'Why did this tragedy happen"? I've been brought up in church all of my life since age 5. I was a "preacher's daughter" for about 10 years when I was younger, attended a Christian university, and most importantly I am a believer, and have a personal relationship with God and Jesus Christ.
For myself, I think it's ok to ask God why in times like these, so long as you don't have bitterness toward Him, if you are a christian. But as the song reminds us, we only see the present, but He sees the first and last. What I have hung on to is that God is sovereign and we do not see the whole picture or plan for our lives. I had great difficulty back in May and several months to folllow, when one of my children was hospitalized. I had been transparent and told someone that I have questioned God and felt very distant from Him at that time. I could no longer pray. How could God allow this when I just brought home Timmy four months ago and am trying to help him? That was one day before the Chapman family lost little Maria. I then told God when I heard of the Chapman's tragedy, "God I do not question you any longer, I have my child still with me." I have learned to trust Him that His plans are best for my life and rest in the truth that He loves me and will never leave me. It's not easy to do on my own, we are humans, but requires faith that only He can give.
Because I have not experienced a tragedy like this, I feel that there isn't much I can say to my friend right now that would lessen her pain, no magic words, but letting her know I am here for her now and in the days to come, and I'm praying for her is the only encouragement I can give.
A song came to my mind yesterday and thought I'd post it here as some of you have heard Babbie Mason sing it. I did a search on why it was written, and the link is below, half-way down the page. Babbie and Eddie Carswell, with New Song, had a mutual friend who was a pastor in North Atlanta. This pastor and his wife were expecting their first child. During the delivery, the wife had a heart attack and died and so did the child. This song below was born out of this tragedy. The great preacher, Charles H. Spurgeon, had first used the words "God is too wise to be mistaken, God is too good to be unkind. And when you can't trace His hand, trust His heart.
TRUST HIS HEART
by Babbie Mason
All things work together for our good,
Though sometimes we don't see how they could.
Struggles that break our hearts in two,
Sometimes blind us to the truth.
Our Father knows what is best for us,
His ways are not our own.
So when your pathway grows dim,
And you just don't see Him,
Remember you are never alone.
God is too wise to be mistaken
God is too good to be unkind
So when you don't understand,
When you don't see His plan
When you can't trace His hand
Trust His heart.
He sees the Master Plan
He holds our future In His hand
So don't live as those who have no hope
For our hope is found in Him
We see the present clearly
But He sees the first and the last
And like a tapestry He's weaving you and me
To someday be just like Him
God is too wise to be mistaken
God is too good to be unkind.
When you don't see His plan
When you can't trace His hand
Trust His heart
http//www.faithtalks.com/babbiemason.htm
6 comments:
Darlene
We have never met but you are doing a great job for your friends during this time. There are no magic words..but just being "there" is needed. My oldest died at age 8 almost 3 yrs ago...it is a horrible thing. MJ's family will need you more than ever in the coming months. The one thing I can say having had to say goodbye to my own daughter is dont say "call me if you need anything". that is what so many said to me...The thing was I did not know what I needed. SO that is just my two cents. God Bless You...
Kathy T
Anchorage Ak
www.lindseyli.blogspot.com
HI Kathy,
I am sorry for the loss of your precious daughter. Thanks for the word of advice. I've said those words many a time to others.Carrie and I are close enough that we both pick up the phone and call each other, so she knows I will be calling her.
Blessings,
Darlene
Oh your are so welcome. My daughter died of a massive brain bleed as well...I so wish I could give Carrie a big hug...Please let her know that there is a family in Alaska that is praying and thinking about her. I know in my heart of hearts that Chelsea welcomed MJ with open arms and is showing her around Heaven!! I know our kids are there...yes I wish they are here but I take great comfort knowing they will be with us again.
Darlene...I was directed over to your site by Stefanie. I'm so glad that I stopped by. I knew MJ (but knew her as Meri), since she was in the same kindergarten last spring as my daughter.
And, I'm pretty sure that I met you & Timmy at the park in G'ville about 5 weeks after you traveled for him. I have wondered about you all since then.
I am glad you are close to Carrie. I called her once or twice when Meri first came home (the school gave me her #), but we never hooked up & I don't think Meri was at school there this year either. I feel awful for them.
I'll be checking in often.....
Regards,
Debby
Darlene,
What a lovely post. Your words do bring comfort and is a good reminder of the bigger plan. Thank you.
Trish
This words to this song have sustained me through many difficult moments in life, but I never knew the story behind them. Thank you for sharing this ...
Post a Comment